Learning Slide In Open D (Slide 101)
Open D tuning has some wonderful possibilities I'll not only teach you songs in the styles of Blind Willie Johnson, Mance Lipscomb, Blind Willie McTell, Mississippi Fred McDowell, and Elmore James, but I'll show you how to expand upon them, giving you all the tools you'll need to create your own variations!!
If you've never played slide guitar or tried but couldn't get the hang of it, then this series of lessons will certainly unlock the mysteries of this unique style of playing.
• How to get the best tone
• How to get rid of unwanted notes by muting
• How to expand upon a song once you learn the basics
• Several songs in the styles of the slide guitar giants.
• Fingerpicking the bass while playing slide melodies
• Cool turnarounds and double stop licks
• Vestapol tuning (Open D), one of the most versatile and powerful tunings used by country blues guitarists over the decades
Take a look at this video to get an idea of what the lessons look and sound like.